Sunday, December 15, 2013

The Knight's Tale Analysis

           The movie we finished watching on Friday was actually pretty good, I thought at least. I thought it was kind of interesting or peculiar the style of music the directors chose to go with the movie. Like what was the song there at the beginning, I think it was " We will rock you" or whatever the name of that song is. I just wanted to point out (even though I'm sure most of noticed) how the songs seemed out of place and didn't quite seem to fit the movie. There were a few examples in the movie, I can't really remember what the song was but at the end in the final tournament as William was riding in on his horse there was another song that didn't quite fit because it was just so our time and out of place I felt like the whole soundtrack and string of unfitting songs kind of ruined the seriousness and in some ways like the respect you could have for the movie kind of if you know what I mean ( I watch a ton of movies so I've kind of  learned to pick apart and be really critical of a ton of movies). But then I guess in defense of the director of the movie as we were walking out after we had finished the movie on Friday I heard Dr. Comber talking to someone saying that how the music could've just been forcing upon the audience the notion that jousting created that sort of atmosphere for people back then where it was all competitive and whatnot just like it does for us nowadays, for instance I'm pretty sure we would play "We Will Rock You" at like middle school basketball games all the time and it just got everybody into that competitive atmosphere. So I guess that would really be one of the few if not the only case the director could have for throwing in those soundtracks into his otherwise exceptional movie. I'm still not sure if I had had the chance that I would've tried to bring across that point at the expense of affecting the quality of the movie.
           I also wanted to point out some examples that for whatever reason caught my attention and I just now thought of. I'm sure the director's of all movies that are made after a historical piece like The Knight's Tale do extensive research into the real story itself to see if they can convey these messages that were lost in the historical sense, and for this reason I want to point out a line that stuck out at me, I think it was somebody in a position of power that told a subordinate to hurry up and get whatever it was done "before the second coming perhaps", it took me a little bit to think about what it meant and then I was like oh yeah religion was big in this time period so it meant the second coming as in the second coming of Christ that is prophesied about in the Bible. I just thought this really showed the difference in culture and where, I guess to say, where we put our values or interests almost, for example in the movie The Sandlot, Squints says when he's yelling at Smalls to throw the ball in " Hurry up! My clothes are going out of style." Which I guess is kind of a bad example but to put it bluntly I feel like lets say as each of the time periods progressed if we had a time line that started with the Middle Ages that went up and every like 100 years or whatever amount of time you want to say, there was the common way for somebody to tell someone else to hurry up, on the timeline now for 2013 the quote would simply be something along the lines of "Hurry the f*** up!" Like I know it might seem really random but I felt like this was the best thing for me to talk about because I actually thought about it while we were watching the movie, I just kind of went off on my train of thought and this is what I concluded.
Following suit of Emma's blog overall movie rating: 4.3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment